Liberty High School and Liberty North High School are privileged to have been designated as A+ high schools by the by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) in cooperation with the Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE). We are pleased to offer the opportunity for our graduates to continue their education at a participating public community college or vocational/technical school, or certain private two-year vocational/technical schools while receiving financial scholarship funds from the State.
Benefits for A+ student(s):
- A student graduating with A+ status may be eligible for two years of scholarship funds to attend any accredited public Missouri community college or vocational/technical school as a full-time student. Tuition benefits may cover tuition and general fees.
- An A+ student may be eligible for scholarships from many Missouri four-year colleges and universities.
- The tuition grants may be available to the A+ student up to four years after high school graduation.
- Students graduating from a two-year school may be eligible for transfer scholarships to four-year colleges and universities.
An A+ student must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Attend a designated A+ high school for three years, or 6 semesters, immediately prior to graduation.
- Enter into a written agreement, by enrolling with your high school, prior to graduation.
- Graduate with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Graduate with at least a 95 percent cumulative attendance record for grades 9 - 12.
- Score proficient or advanced on the state level Algebra I End of Course Exam OR achieve a combined ACT math sub score and high school GPA in accordance with the scale set forth by MDHE.
- Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring to other students in the Liberty Public Schools.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the use of alcohol and unlawful drugs while in grades 9-12.
- Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) prior to becoming eligible for A+ Financial Reimbursement.
- Register for the Selective Service (males) upon 18th birthday
Recommendations for A+ student(s):
- Sign up early in high school so there is time to complete the tutoring portion of the A+ requirements and receive college and career information from the A+ coordinator. Signing up early also allows the coordinator to monitor GPA and attendance.
- Enroll in the A+ Program even if planning to attend a four-year college, or enter the workforce, rather than attend college. The A+ Program is an opportunity for students to access additional education after high school; it does not obligate them to use the A+ tuition reimbursement. The A+ benefits are available to A+ graduate(s) within 48 months of high school graduation.
Opportunities for tutoring experiences include:
- Enroll in EIP to earn high school elective credit. (Actual credit earned varies particular to parameters of student enrollment in the EIP class.)
- Earn A+ Hours for no credit by:
- Tutoring during a designated A+ study hall (Available for Seniors Only)
- Tutor before school, after school, or during Liberty/Eagle Hour
- Tutor during summer school (June)
A process for placement will be distributed to students by your building’s A+ Coordinator. For additional information about the A+ Program, contact your building’s A+ Coordinator.
LHS A+ Coordinator: David McDorman
LNHS A+ Coordinator: Precious Kurth