EDGE is a globally focused microschool serving 9th - 12th grade students residing within Liberty Public Schools. EDGE opened to students in the 2021-2022 school year. Check out A Day at EDGE for more insight into learning at EDGE. Follow us on Twitter @lpsedge.
What makes EDGE a revolutionary way to do high school?
- EDGE is rooted in humanitarian causes. If you want to positively impact humanity, EDGE can give you the knowledge and skills to make it happen.
- Real-world problems are the center of learning. Rather than subjects being separated by class periods, learning from each subject area is woven together to allow learners to understand how math, science, social studies, English, etc. apply to real-world problems.
- Learning at EDGE is incredibly student-driven. Students take a large role in setting goals, choosing and designing learning projects, planning their day, and choosing how to show evidence of learning. Highly qualified teachers provide the expertise and accountability to guide learning and keep students on track.
- EDGE gives learners opportunities to explore and connect internationally. Making these opportunities accessible to learners from all backgrounds is part of our mission.
EDGE was featured in Getting Smart as one of nine 'Cool New Schools'!
EDGE Mission and Vision
Our mission is to transform today's learners into leaders who are motivated, aware, and prepared to impact positive change around the globe.
Our vision is to inspire and equip leaders who are committed to inquiry, innovation and impact with the competitive edge necessary to thrive in a rapidly-changing, global society.
EDGE Core Values
These concepts from around the globe inspire our commitments for learning and living:
कणा Karuṇā - Compassion through action
(Sanskrit - India)
Eunoia - A well-balanced mind
Buena onda - Good vibrations
(Spanish - Argentina)
七転び八起き nanakorobi yaoki - Stumbling seven times but recovering eight
Pang’ono Pang’ono - Little by little; slowly
(Chichewa - Malawi, Africa)
Photo by Ben White on Unsplash
Developing Global Competence
All graduates will demonstrate active pursuit of global competencies* that are pillars of the learning experiences embedded throughout EDGE.
1. Investigate the World - Globally competent students are aware, curious, and interested in learning about the world and how it works.
2. Recognize Perspectives - Globally competent students recognize that they have a particular perspective, and that others may or may not share it.
3. Communicate Ideas - Globally competent students can effectively communicate, verbally and non-verbally, with diverse audiences.
4. Take Action - Globally competent students have the skills and knowledge to not just learn about the world but also to make a difference in the world.
*Source: Center for Global Education
Read more about how EDGE began in the Getting Smart article 'A Microschool on the Cutting EDGE of Learning'.