Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! This will definitely be a memorable school year! We look forward to seeing your child on our first day of school, Tuesday, September 8th. As we prepare for the school year, we would like to provide some additional information to support everyone.
Monday, August 31 - Deadline to adjust placement from Virtual School to Face to Face School
Tuesday, September 1st - Class Placement letters will be sent to families by email at noon, 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday, September 8th - First day of classes for the 2020-2021 school year
LPS Staff across the school district have been working to provide additional details to support families and school staff with procedural information. Below you will find information in a bulleted list about how we at Alexander Doniphan will carry out these procedures for Face to Face instruction:
Arrival - All students will be required to wear their masks when entering the school. Each student will be instructed to use hand sanitizer before entering their classroom. If students are purchasing breakfast, they will pick up their Grab and Go breakfast and take to the classroom to eat.
- School doors will be open at 8:30 a.m. for students to enter the building. Exterior doors, utilized for student arrival, will be propped open with adequate staff supervision to allow for a “no touch” arrival. The doors will close at 8:45 a.m. Older students are able to ring the bell to gain entry to the building after 8:45 a.m. If your child needs assistance getting to their classroom, please call 816-736-5400 and someone will meet your child at the door.
- Car Rider Arrival - Students will use the front loop to unload from their cars. Parents will pull along the curb in front of the building. Staff will be outside to help facilitate this process, however, this year staff will not be opening doors for students. Your child will exit the passenger side of the car with their mask already on to enter the building. Students in grades 4 and 5 will enter through the main front doors. Students in grades Kindergarten through grade 3 will enter through the second set of doors - East front doors. Doors will be open and we will have staff located at each door for students to enter.
- Bus Rider Arrival - Students will exit the bus and be escorted to the East Bus/Walker doors to enter the building. All students will enter wearing their masks.
- Walker Arrival - Students will enter the building either through the East Walker door or the West Walker door - staff will be at each entrance to help monitor. Please make sure your child arrives at school after 8:30 a.m. but before 8:45 a.m.
Dismissal - All students will be required to wear their masks during dismissal. Exterior doors, utilized for student departure, will be propped open with adequate staff supervision to allow for a “no touch” departure. Students will not touch doors to depart the school building.
- We will begin our dismissal routines starting about 3:25 p.m. If you have a change in your normal dismissal routine, please call the office at 816-736-5400 by 2:45 p.m.
- Students will remain in their classroom until called for dismissal.
- KidZone personnel will pick up students from individual classrooms at the end of the day.
- Bus riders will be called by bus number to the bus.
- For Car Riders - Kindergarten students will sit in West front hallway socially distanced. First grade students will sit in East front hallway socially distanced. All other students will remain in their classrooms until called to the front to leave for the day.
- Walkers will be escorted by duty personnel to their exits.
- If you need to pick your child up earlier, please call the office, 816-736-5400 once you are outside in the car rider loop. We will call your student down for dismissal and sign your student out in the office. If you are having someone pick up your child and they are not on your emergency contact list, you will need to call the office to provide permission. They will need to park and come to the door to provide identification.
Back to School Night
- Back to School Night will be virtual this year. With the new start date of school, we will be adjusting our virtual Back to School Night. In addition, a plan will be created to allow families to drop off school supplies for their student(s) prior to the first day of school. More detailed information will be sent closer to the beginning of school about both events.
- Students will be allowed to select a To-Go breakfast item from the predetermined options.
- To-Go options will be available at student entry points.
- Students will make their breakfast selection, give their name to the cafeteria staff and report to their classroom to eat at their individual seat in the classroom.
- Clean up will be managed in the classroom by the supervising adult with supplied resources.
Classroom Configuration (Seating)
- At Doniphan we are fortunate to have flexibility in our classroom configurations. Our fourth and fifth grade classrooms will actually have double rooms this year to allow more space for students and the ability to practice safe social distancing.
- Art will be held in the cafeteria this year to allow space for creativity and social distancing.
- In order to maintain equitable student enrollment throughout the grades, we have been tasked to reimagine school. We are happy to share we have been able to keep our class sizes lower while maintaining social distancing students. For the 20/21 school year, we have three classrooms devoted to teaching a combination grade level. We will have a First/Second; Second/Third; and a Fourth/Fifth combination.
- Teachers will make every effort to have classroom resources and supplies distributed ahead of time to limit paper materials being passed out.
- When possible, teachers will utilize tech tools for distribution of materials.
- Student supplies will not be shared.
- All school staff and visitors are required to wear a mask.
- Students may be able to lower their mask (with permission only) when a clear 6+ foot social distance can be maintained for an extended period of time.
- Wearing a face shield in addition to a mask can be considered but is not a substitute for a mask.
- Students will be required to wear a mask.
- Masks should be worn at all times EXCEPT while: eating; drinking; and during active outdoor recess, outdoor physical education activities and indoor physical education while maintaining physical distancing of six feet.
- Exceptions may be considered for young children in grade K-3 where masking may be difficult due to inappropriate mask hygiene (e.g. frequently touching mask and/or pulling the mask down so it does not cover the mouth and nose), or in children with difficulty with speech or language.
- Any mask exceptions will be reviewed by the school’s COVID-19 team.
- Masks with exhalation valves are not allowed as they can promote the spread of infection.
- Cloth face coverings should be washed daily and when soiled.
- Students will be reminded regularly of proper mask wearing. Proper mask wearing includes hand hygiene before putting the mask on and taking it off, avoidance of touching their mask, and ensuring the mask covers the mouth and nose.
- Masks should be properly labeled and not shared between students.
- School staff will instruct students on proper hand washing techniques.
- Students should wash or sanitize their hands on a regular basis. Students should also specifically wash/sanitize prior to and returning from any transition from one school space to another.
- All students, whether face to face or virtual, must have immunizations up to date and on file with the nurses office prior to their first day of school. If you have any questions, please contact us.
- Alexander Doniphan students will dine in their classroom for lunch. Students have the choice to bring their lunch from home or purchase a school lunch.
- School Lunch Pre-Ordering is coming for all students through SchoolCafe! (www.schoolcafe.com). Student meals will be individually prepared to a customizable online order. What is important as we build this new method of ordering and serving meals, is to set up a SchoolCafe parent account if you don't already have one.
- We will have two classes at recess at a time. Classes will utilize half of the playground at a time and switch every other day. Each classroom will utilize their own class materials, i.e. each class can have their own set of materials like playground balls, etc.
- Students and staff will wash or sanitize their hands before going to recess and upon returning to the classroom.
- Playground materials should be sanitized at the conclusion of each day.
- Specials will operate with a cohort model and rotate on a weekly basis. For example, a class may have Art the first week and then Music the next, followed by PE the week after. This is different from the typical model of rotating every third day through each special class.
- Students with disabilities will be offered the same educational opportunities as all students during reentry.
- Students will be provided specialized instruction either virtually or face to face.
- In accordance with district guidance regarding visitors, it is encouraged that eligibility and IEP meetings be held virtually unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Visitors and Volunteers
- Information for parents about volunteering and/or subbing for the school district will be coming soon.
Your family may be choosing face-to-face learning or virtual learning based on your personal needs and preferences. We want you to know that in either environment, we will continue to operate as a school family. When students and staff are connected, students will perform better academically and are more motivated to learn. We are all in this together! During our new normal, we want students and staff to feel a deep connection to our school family and know they are cared for and loved!
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us! The office number is 816-736-5400.